- Delayed Day Bell Schedules
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Giants spirit pins now available - get yours today!
- MCS bullying prevention program earns national award
- MHS Academic Giants headed to state with perfect math score
- MHS Hall of Distinction nominations due May 10
- MHS jazz band earns 3rd straight ISSMA gold
- MHS JROTC program earns highest rating from Army
- MHS musicians earn gold at ISSMA state solo & ensemble contest
- SENIORS: 3.5 Academic Honors Banquet info
- VIDEO: WIWU-TV features the Giant Bistro
- Want a 2016-17 yearbook? Order by 5/24!
April 21 2017Seniors, you voted! The results are in!
April 20 2017MHS Academic Giants headed to state with perfect math score
April 20 2017Annual banquet will recognize MHS JROTC cadets’ achievements
April 19 2017Don't miss 'High School Musical' on stage at the Walton! (4/27 & 4/29)
April 18 2017SENIORS: Ivy Tech Senior Express is a day just for you! (4/25)
Apr. 23, 2017
Apr. 23, 2017
ISSMA Organizational Competition
Walton Center @ MHS
Apr. 24, 2017
May. 15, 2017
Upward Bound Tutoring
Apr. 26, 2017
@ 11:30 AM
IU Kokomo College Visit
Federal Student Aid Information
- To fill out FAFSA: www.fafsa.gov
- Basic FAFSA information: StudentAid.gov/fafsa
- Types of financial aid: StudentAid.gov/types
- Who can get federal student aid: StudentAid.gov/eligibility
- Finding and applying for scholarships: StudentAid.gov/scholarships
Specific Scholarship Opportunities
- Abbot & Fenner Scholarship: $1,000 available to all high school juniors and seniors as well as all students currently registered in any accredited post secondary institution. Click here for more information. Deadline: June 12, 2017.
- Altrusa International Scholarship: For Grant County high school students continuing their education at an accredited post-secondary institution. Click here for more information / application. Deadline is April 15, 2017. Application / transcript should be mailed to Daphne McMullen c/o Altrusa International of Marion, IN, 2472 N. 400 E., Marion, IN 46952.
- AES Scholarship: $500 available future leaders across a wide spectrum of fields of study. Click here for more information. Deadline: Oct. 6, 2016.
- AABE Scholars: Aim of this scholarship is to help increase the number of African Americans, Hispanics, and Native Americans in energy-related fields. Indiana AABE chapter will award one $2,000 scholarship and two $1,000 scholarships. Top winner will compete for $3,000 regional award, and winners advance to compete for a $5,000 national award. Click here for application packet. Deadline: Feb. 3, 2016.
- AASA Redefining Ready Scholarship: 16 scholarships awarded across the country; awards up to $5,000. Tell the world how you are college, career, and life-ready beyond a single test score. Examples include completion of an internship, AP or dual credit classes while in high school; near-perfect attendance; or participation in clubs, sports and school activities. The story must be told via a 30-second video posted online. Deadline: May 22. Click here for more information.
- Aspiring Animation Professional Scholarship: $1,000 scholarship awarded to students interested in pursuing an animation career path at an accredited post-secondary school or college. Click here for more information. Deadline: June 1, 2017.
- Aspiring Fashion Professional Scholarship: $1,000 scholarship awarded to students interested in pursuing a fashion degree at an accredited post-secondary school or college. Click here for more information. Deadline: June 1, 2017.
- Barbara Lotze Scholarship for Future Teachers: Students planning to pursue a career as a physics teacher invited to apply. administered by the American Association of Physics Teachers. Scholarship of up to $2,000 per year. Applications accepted year-round, but deadline for current year consideration is Dec. 1. Click here for more information.
- Beacon Credit Union Scholarship: Eight $1,000 scholarships are available to credit union members and their children. Click here for more information. Applications are also available in Student Services. Deadline: Jan. 31, 2017.
- Big Sun Athletic Organization Scholarship: $500 awarded to student-athlete. Click here for more information. Deadline June 19, 2017.
- Blumberg Center Scholarship: Financial assistance and learning opportunities for students pursuing careers in special education or communication disorders at Indiana State University. $1,500 a year awarded to one incoming freshman; renewable for four years. Deadline: March 1, 2017. Click here for more information.
- Central Michigan University's Leadership Advancement Scholarship: $2,000 per academic year for outstanding students who have distinguished themselves through a record of leadership and service. Click here for more information. Deadline is Nov. 15, 2016.
- Cobell Scholarship: Merit-based and need-based scholarship for any member of a federally recognized native tribe enrolled in full-time post-secondary study, provided by Indigenous Education Inc. Deadline: March 31, 2017. Click here for more information.
- Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation Scholarship: 150 Coca-Cola Scholars are selected each year to receive this $20,000 scholarship. Deadline: Nov. 15, 2016. Click here for more information.
- Common Knowledge Scholarship Foundation: Take a quiz, win a scholarship! To learn more about these competitions, click here. Prizes range from $500 to $2,500. Maximum award to a single competitor is $5,000. Parents can compete too! Competition dates and deadlines vary.
- Damon P. Moore Scholarship: $1,000 renewable scholarship for dependents of current members of the Indiana State Teachers Association who plan to pursue a teaching certificate. Criteria include academics, leadership in co-curricular activities and community involvement; includes essay. Deadline: March 1, 2017. Click here to apply.
- Distinguished Young Women of Grant County Scholarship Program: There will be an informational meeting at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 6 , in the Tree of Life Atrium on Western Avenue, next to Abbey Coffee. Scholarships will go to a senior girl based on academics, fitness, talent, interview skills, and self-expression. Come to the meeting to find out how to win a $1,500 scholarship.
- Elks Most Valuable Student scholarship competition: Membership in Elks not required. Criteria include scholarship, leadership, financial need. Top 20 finalists participate in all-expenses-paid Leadership Weekend in Chicago, during which they'll interview with national judges. All 20 finalists get scholarships: two first-place awards of $50,000, two second-place awards of $40,000, two third-place awards of $30,000, and the remaining 14 receive awards of $20,000. In addition, 480 runners-up will receive $4,000 scholarships. Deadline: Nov. 30, 2016. Click here for more information.
- Foot Locker Scholar Athletes: $20,000 to select student athletes who are exceptional leaders in the locker room, the classroom, and the community. Click here for more information. Deadline: Dec. 16, 2016.
- Hesburgh-Yusco Scholars Program: Merit-based scholarship and leadership development program at the University of Notre Dame; $25,000 per year, along with other enrichment opportunities. Candidates selected by Admissions from entire poole of Restrictive Early Action admitted students; exceptional Regular Decision candidates will also be considered if they submit a complete application by Jan. 1. Click here for more information.
- Hoosier Scholars, the Fund for Hoosier Excellence: Each Indiana high school can nominate two students (one male, one female). Eligibility includes minority status, intention to attend Indiana college or university, SAT score of at least 1,000 or ACT composite score of at least 22, and at least B grade average. Criteria include leadership and scholarship. Application packets are due in December. 20 nominees named as finalists; two will be awarded $20,000 scholarships, and eight others will be awarded $4,000 scholarships. If you are interested in applying, please contact the MHS Guidance Department immediately. Click here for more information.
- Horatio Alger Association Scholarships: Various scholarships available, up to $25,000. Deadlines vary. Click here for more information.
- Indiana Lions District 25-D Dedicated to Serving and Protecting Our Future Scholarship Program: Two $750 awards for seniors in Blackford, Delaware, Grant, Hamilton, Howard, Jay, Madison, Tipton or Randolph counties. Deadline April 10, 2017. Click here to download application.
- Indiana Mining and Mineral Education Program Scholarship: Six $2,500 scholarships available to graduating Indiana seniors pursuing a career in the aggregates industry (majors such as civil engineering, environmental science, certified welder, diesel mechanic, safety management, and more). Criteria include academics and other school and community involvement. Application includes essay. Deadline: March 31, 2017. Click here for more information.
- Indiana Oil and Gas Association Scholarship: For Indiana high school and college students planning to pursue a career in the oil and gas industry. Award based on both academic merit and financial need. Click here for more information / application. Deadline: April 1, 2017.
- Indiana Sheriffs' Association Scholarship: Renewable scholarship for active affiliate or associate members of the Indiana Sheriff's Association and their dependent children or grandchildren; must be an Indiana resident, attend or plan to attend an Indiana college, and plan to pursue a degree / career in law enforcement. Deadline: April 1, 2017. Click here for more information / application.
- Indiana Tech Regional Scholarship: For students who attend a high school within certain areas of Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan (including the Marion area); $3,000 a year in addition to any academic scholarship; the regional scholarship is non-competitive, meaning any student who is accepted to Indiana Tech and qualifies geographically for this scholarship earns it automatically (though any student attending Indiana Tech on an athletic scholarship is not eligible for the regional scholarship). Click here to apply for admission to Indiana Tech.
- Indiana University Alumni Scholarship: Available to children of IU Alumni Association members, staff, and chapter leaders. Student leaders are also eligible to apply. Scholarships can be awarded to students at any IU campus. Criteria include academics and financial need. Deadline: March 25, 2017. Click here for more information and application.
- Indiana University Kokomo's Cougar Choir music scholarship: Auditions for a chance to earn a partial music scholarship will be held on March 25, 2017, on the Indiana University Kokomo campus. Email email@example.com or call 765-455-9217 to schedule an audition time or for more information.
- Indiana University - Kokomo Creative Writing Contest: Submissions of poetry, short stories, and other creative writing will be judged by English/language studies staff and students at IUK. Top two writers in poetry and prose will earn renewable scholarships of $500 (1st) and $250 (2nd), and works will be featured in IUK literary journal, Field. Submission deadline is Oct. 15. Writers can participate in a reading at 7 p.m. Nov. 10 at IUK. To submit your work and register for the event, click here. NOTE: The MHS Creators Alive club will be focusing on work to submit to this competition in the next few weeks. If you are interested, come and join us from 4 to 5 on Wednesdays in Lab 2-39!
- Indiana University - Wells Scholarship: Up to two members of the Class of 2017 can be nominated for this prestigious and selective award. The Wells Scholarship, awarded on the basis of merit, pays the full cost of attendance for four years of undergraduate study at IU - Bloomington, and also provides special educational opportunities and eligibility for a grant to pursue a summer internship, research or service project, creative activity, or other enriching experience. Please see Mrs. Pearcy for more information. The deadline for MHS to nominate students is Oct. 1!
- Indiana Wesleyan University Local High School Endowed Scholarship Application: This scholarship is for high schoolers in the local area only — so MHS students who want to attend IWU should apply! Click here to view/download the form. Deadline for early consideration: Feb. 1, 2017. (Meet this deadline for maximum award availability.)
- Indiana Wesleyan University STEM Scholarship: A grant from the National Science Foundation to Indiana Wesleyan University will provide scholarships to 18 undergraduate over four years to pursue and complete degress in biology, chemistry, or physics. Based on academic merit and financial need. Up to $9,000 awarded annually. Click here for more information. If you are interested in applying, please contact Dr. Matthew Kreitzer for more information, 765-677-2301 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline: Feb. 17, 2017.
- International Business College Scholarship Competition: Saturday, Jan. 21, 2017, at the IBC and Vet Tech Institute campus in Fort Wayne. Students may take the exam at either 9 or 11:15 a.m. to be eligible for scholarship awards that will total at least $20,000. A financial aid seminar and campus housing tours will also be offered. No pre-registration required. Awards will be announced on Jan. 23. Please see the Guidance Department for more information.
- ISTA Educator Scholarship: $1,000 renewatble scholarship for dependents of current Indiana State Teachers Association who are pursuing a degree / career in education. Criteria include academics, leadership in co-curricular activities and community involvement; essay included. Deadline: March 1, 2017. Click here to apply.
- ISTA Career Scholarship: $1,000 renewable scholarship for dependents of current members of the Indiana State Teachers Association. Criteria includes academics, leadership in co-curricular activities and community involvement; includes essay. Deadline: March 1, 2017. Click here to apply.
- ISTA Foundation District Scholarship: $700 scholarship for children or grandchildren of current members of the Indiana State Teachers Association; applicants must have at least a C average and plan to participate in a formal accredited training program or attend a two- to four-year accredited college. Deadline: April 1, 2017. Click here to apply.
- Ivy Tech Community College scholarships: Various awards in varying amounts available. Click for more information and to apply online.
- John M. Cook Memorial Scholarship: Open to students from any Grant County high school. Minimum 2.0 GPA and must be committed to pursuing education/career in law enforcement/criminal justice field. For application, click here. For more information, Det. Lt. Shelby Taylor at 765-662-9864, ext. 172, or email@example.com. Deadline: 4 p.m. April 28, 2017.
- Justine M. Harrell Memorial Scholarship: $1,000 renewable scholarship for dependents of current members of the Indiana State Teachers Association who are planning to pursue a degree / career in teaching. Criteria includes financial need (must be at or below 200 percent of federal poverty line); academic achievement; leadership in co-curricular activities and community involvement. Includes essay. Deadline: March 1, 2017. Click here to apply online.
- Kappa Kappa Kappa / Gamma Rho Chapter scholarship: Up to $1,000 for Grant County high school seniors attending college in fall 2017; based on academic achievement, potential, and financial need. Click here for application and information. Deadline: April 5, 2017 (have information to MHS Guidance Department by March 31).
- Kappa Kappa Sigma Sorority / Alpha Delta Chapter Vocational / Associate Scholarship: $1,000 one-year scholarship, for any Grant County graduating senior or adult Ivy Tech student pursuing a less-than-four-year degree; based on financial need. Deadline: May 1, 2017. Click here to download the application.
- Knights of Pythias - Pythian Family Educational Assistance: 12 $1,000 scholarships available to Indiana high school students with GPA of 3.0 or higher; financial need also taken into consideration. Deadline: postmarked by Jan. 25, 2017. Click here to view/download application. Applications must be typed and mailed. (If you need more space for answers, please create Word document.) Address is on application.
- Knights of Pythias - poster competition: Open to all Indiana high school students. Grant County students may submit artwork in Region 4. Winners will be chosen in hand-drawn and digital art. State level prizes range from $100 to $500; state winner will compete at national level for prizes ranging from $100 to $1,000. Entries due by April 1, 2017. Click here to view brochure with more information.
- Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship: Full scholarship for tuition and fees at an Indiana college. Nominees are selected by the Community Foundation of Grant County. Application is now available. Deadline: Sept. 30, 2016. See Guidance Department for more information, or click here to review information online and begin your application.
- Louie's Tux Shop Scholarship Model Search: A 100% local cast will participate in a photo shoot in October, and two students named "Top Models" will receive $1,000.00 college scholarships. A total of 20 students will be participating and will be featured in the spring prom magazine. Ten students chosen by their peers during the online voting period in September and October will receive automatic entries to the photo shoot. Another 10 students will receive special invitations from Louie's Tux Shop and Act ll Modeling Agency to round out the cast with all students having an equal chance at winning the scholarships. Click here for more information.
- Louis B. Russell Scholarship: $1,000 scholarship for minority students who are dependents of current members of the Indiana State Teachers Association and who are planning to pursue a degree / career in industrial arts, vocational education, or technical preparation at an accredited post-secondary institution. Criteria includes academic achievement; leadership in co-curricular activities and community involvement. Includes essay. Deadline: March 1, 2017. Click here to apply online.
- Lyric Club Music Scholarship Competition: Criteria include musicianship, scholarhip, character, and serious intent to continue musical training beyond high school. Application deadline: April 24, 2017. Auditions will be held May 7, 2017. Click here for more information / application.
- Maude Kelley Scholarship: For students pursuing degree in healthcare; 12 scholarships available this year; distributed by the Community Howard Regional Health Foundation. Deadline: 4 p.m. April 1, 2017. Click here for more information.
- Midwest Student Exchange Program: NOT a scholarship, but available tuition discounts for out-of-state colleges. Click here for more information. This program gives students a wider range of education options. Nearly 100 colleges and universities in Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and Wisconsin have opened their doors to each others’ citizens by offering reduced tuition rates. All enrollment decisions are made at the discretion of the receiving campus, and the campus may exercise its right to limit participation or set specific admission requirements for MSEP.
- Mississinewa Audobon Club scholarship: $200 available to an area student pursuing a degree/career in wildlife, natural resources, and/or environmental management or conservation. Deadline: March 30, 2017. Click here for application. Interested students are welcome to attend the Mississinewa Audobon Club meetings at 6:30 p.m. on the third Tuesday of the month at the Marion Public Library.
- Nancy Jaynes Memorial Scholarship - Indiana Breast Cancer Awareness Trust: Up to $1,500 for to Indiana high school senior(s) whose parent is currently battling breast cancer or who has lost a parent to breast cancer. Click here for more information. Deadline: Feb. 5, 2016.
- National Merit Scholarship: Click here for more information about how you can be considered (by taking the PSAT). This scholarship can be worth tens of thousands of dollars!
- National Space Club and Foundation Keynote Scholars: Students intending to pursue a career in STEM fields are eligible to apply, with a preference for those with space-related interests. Other criteria include academics and excellence in public speaking. Winner is the keynote speaker at the National Space Club and Foundation's annual Goddard Memorial Dinner, and also receives a $10,000 scholarship. Deadline: Dec. 2, 2016. Click here for more information.
- Next Generation Hoosier Educators Scholarship: Beginning Nov. 1, 2016, incoming and current Indiana college students studying education and pledging to teach in an Indiana school for five years after graduation can apply for a $7,500-per-year scholarship; 200 will be awarded each year. Nomination by teacher required; please prepare nomination before application period opens. Complete application deadline is Dec. 31, 2016. Click here for more information.
- NFIB Young Entrepreneur Award: Non-renewable merit-based scholarships between $2,000 and $15,000 that recognizes graduating high school seniors who have demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit and initiative and own/operate an established business. Application period open from Oct. 1, 2015, through Dec. 18, 2016. Click here for more information.
- R. Dale and Lee Culley Memorial Scholarship: Merit-based scholarship to one Grant County resident each year entering barber school, a men's hair styling school, or a technical school. To be considered, click here fill out the Grant County Community Foundation's scholarship application. Deadline: Dec. 31, 2016.
- Ron Brown Scholar Program: African-American youths of outstanding promise are offered academic scholarships, service opportunities, and leadership experience. Click here for more information. Deadline: Early applicant deadline Nov. 1 (other scholarship opportunities included); final deadline: Jan. 9.
- Salon Professional Academy Get Inspired Scholarship: $1,000 tuition discount for Class of 2017 high school grads; criteria includes goals relating to beauty industry, personal references; GPA and attendance requirement to keep scholarship. Deadline: June 1, 2017. For complete application information, contact Sandra in Admissions by calling 765-454-9840 ext. 2, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sigma Phi Epsilon Balanced Man Scholarships: Scholarship awarded through the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity at select chapters at specific colleges, including several in Indiana, and across the country. Links available on individual chapter websites. Click here to explore. Scholarship is available at IU: Up to $500 awarded to five outstanding students. Criteria include scholarship, philanthropic, athletic, and extra-curricular achievements. Deadline: May 1. Click here for the IU application.
- Sixt Scholarships: Five $5,000 scholarships available. Deadline: Nov. 30, 2016. Click here for more information.
- Tobacco-Free Life scholarship: Awarded to students who best demonstrate their skills in encouraging smokers to break free of their addiction by creating a well-researched and evidenced-based essay offering advice to tobacco users. Each quarter, two students are selected to receive $1,000 in scholarship funds. Deadline for next award: Jan. 31, 2017. Click here for more information.
- Quest Bridge National College Match: The QuestBridge National College Match helps outstanding low-income high school seniors gain admission and full four-year scholarships to some of the nation's most selective colleges. Deadline: Sept. 27, 2016. Click here for more information.
- Varsity Tutors Scholarship Contest: Monthly essay contest for $1,000 scholarship. Click here for more information.
- Vegetarian Resource Group Scholarship: Up to $10,000 for seniors who have shown compassion, courage, and a strong commitment to promoting a peaceful world through a vegetarian/vegan diet and lifestyle. Deadline: Feb. 20, 2017. Click here for more information.
- VIA Credit Union scholarships: Six $1,000 awards available to senior students who have been a member of the credit union for at least one year by application date, and have 3.0 GPA. Deadline: March 15, 2017. Click here for more information.
- Vincennes University scholarships: Awards, qualifications, and deadlines vary. Priority consideration deadline Jan. 15, 2016. Click here for more information.
- Wendy's High School Heisman: 100 scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 for scholar-athletes. Application deadline is Oct. 3. Click here to learn more.
- Young Entrepreneurs Program: Any junior or senior can apply to participate in YEP at Marion High School. This is a 10-week scholarship program that starts Sept. 6. Applications are due by Tuesday, Aug. 30. See Ms. Flowers in the main offices, Mr. Robertson in Room 4-26, or Mr. Vermilion in Room 4-24 for more information or application.
Most of the scholarships listed below will likely be available again in the 2016-17 school year. The links below were for the 2015-16 school year, but you will likely find eligibility information and more for this year. We will update as we hear more about specific scholarship opportunities!
- Arthur G. Manning and Leonette Manning Scholarship: Scholarship for students who are going to or are studying Law. See your guidance counselor for more information.
- Aspiring Nurse Scholarship from Nursing School Almanac: $1,000 scholarship awarded to an aspiring nurse with a track record of academic excellence, particularly in science and mathematics, and a passion for the nursing profession and the overall field of healthcare. Click here for more information. Deadline: June 30, 2016.
- Beta Sigma Psi Christian Leadership Award: $1,500 toward tuition and fees at select universities. Click here for more information. Deadline Feb. 13, 2016.
- Beta Sigma Psi Martin Luther Scholarship: $2,000 toward tuition and fees at any four-year accredited U.S. college. Click here for more information. Deadline Feb. 13, 2016.
- Buick Achievers Scholarship: Up to $25,000 a year for students majoring in engineering, technology, or design with an interest in the automotive industry. Click here for more information. Deadline: Feb. 29, 2016.
- Indiana Conservation Officer Organization Scholarship: Four $500 awards to graduating seniors or college students majoring in law enforcement or conservation law enforcement. Click here for more information. Deadline: March 14, 2016.
- Lending Tree Scholarship Contest: $2,500 scholarship for high school seniors attending college in the fall. Submit a 30-second video on this topic: What is your plan for paying for college? Click here for more information. Deadline: July 15, 2016
- Lyric Club Music Scholarship Competition: Up to $800 in scholarships available to Grant County students in recognition of exceptional musicianship, overall scholarship, character, and serious intent to continue musical training and practice beyond high school. Application / recommendations deadline April 25, 2016. Auditions will be on May 2, 2016. More requirements information and applications are available in the MHS Guidance Department office.
- Marion Teachers Association 2017 Scholarship: Available to Marion High School Class of 2017 graduates who plan to study education at the post-secondary level. Click here for more information. Deadline: March 3, 2017.
- Old National Bank: $1,000 scholarship for college tuition, for more information see your guidance counselor.
- Phi Gamma Delta Black Diamond Scholarship: $1,000 to Ball State University. Click here for more information.
- Salin Foundation Scholarship: $2,000 scholarship to any Indiana school, based on academics and financial need. Deadline: March 15, 2016. Click here for more information.
- Sevenish Law Firm scholarship essay contest: Awards range from $500 to $1,250. Deadline is April 15, 2016. Click here for more information.
- Technology scholarships: Full four-year tuition, room and board at Marist College, New York. Criteria include: strength of curriculum and academic performance throughout high school; interview with the dean and/or faculty from the School of Computer Science and Mathematics; declaration of Computer Science or Information Technology and Systems as program of study; full-time enrollment at Marist starting fall 2015. Click here to learn more or call 1-800-436-5483.